Tuesday, February 4, 2014

When Fish Fly...



Today I saw one of the coolest things I think I've ever seen in my life.  I was up in the kitchen and happened to look down and notice an Islander on the beach in front of the house.  All of a sudden he bent down at a curve toward his knees, then whipped upwards towards the house, like a big sweeping Tai Chi move.  To my amazement, a fish came flying out of the water and landed on the sand!  It flew right out of the water!  It was only when he walked over to it and started pulling a hook out of it's mouth that I realized he had been fishing with just a line that I couldn't see.  No pole, just an invisible line of string.

The kids ran out to see the action, and were enthralled to see that it was a long, skinny fish about 18 inches long.  He told them it was a Barracuda, and showed them it's long jagged teeth.


"Great eating fish" he said.  Next thing I know Stephanie is down there with cash, buying the fish from him as he cut it up for her and squeezed lime all over it.




Ten minutes later he had another one which he was selling to the next door neighbors, who by this time were also enthralled with the action.


I have become fascinated by the resourcefulness of these humble people.  Their ability to support themselves in the simplest of ways.  No fancy fishing boat, not even a pole.  Just a string and a hook.  He would start by catching a small fish, and then toss the small fish out to the bigger fish, and pretty soon, voila!  A delicious dinner for two customers and a modest day's pay for himself.  All within about an hour's time.



I learned that I have a soft spot inside of me for the "Go-Getters" of the world...those who go out each day and make it happen, no matter what.  Those who put their faith on the line every day, with no guarantee of a "return on investment", no job security.  I cheer for those people...and I applaud their successful payoff, because it doesn't come every day, but when it does, it is sweet.  The fish was delicious tonight...it doesn't get any fresher than from your front yard, and Mr. Barracuda made the most scrumptious fish tacos.


Thank you Mr. Entrepreneur Islander Fisherman...I salute you!!
(By Dustin)

4 comments:

  1. "those who put their faith on the line"

    haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the life lessons here! and looks yummy! keep the posts coming...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe...yes, I thought the pun was clever. ;-)

    ReplyDelete