Monday, February 17, 2014

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?

(Written by Ethan)

Think of Julie Andrews in the background.....

When the dog bites,




When the fleas sting,


When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my Idaho friends,
and then I don't feel...so bad!

When you find yourself singing this song, you know that you are in Roatan.....
No, really, I love living here, but staying in paradise isn't free. :-)

I, Ethan Simpson, am a dog lover at heart. But, a few days ago my faith in this wonderful race was shaken. As we were walking along the beach to our service project (see earlier blog entry) we met Tiffany and her wonderful pups, Lucky and Jo-Jo. Tiffany is a Gringo (a white American) who has been living on the island for 13 years with her family. Her house is in a perfect location, right on the beach with amazing dock over the water. We said hello to her and the dogs and continued on. But the drama happened the next day. We were again walking to the Sand Castle Library that rueful morning when Tiffany said hello and told us kids to go ahead and pet the dogs. I shouldn't have listened. My adoration of canines took over my body as step after painful step I walked up to the house. As I turned away, Jo-Jo leaped up 10 feet (huge exaggeration) and sent me somersaulting down the beach (again, exaggeration). Tiffany was practically yelling, asking "Did he break skin?!? Are you hurt?" I ended up being fine after she brought me in to her beach house and cleaning me up. What I learned from this horrific disaster of a morning stroll is 1, never turn your back on a dog, and 2, always bring pepper spray on walks. Hopefully my broken heart will be mended so I can love this species again. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ethan,
    I grew up living across the street from your mom's family on Bell Lane. I just found out about this blog when I shared a real estate ad for your mom's family home with your Uncle Craig. Now all the Frames and Sorensens are replying (well some of them!). Anyway, it sounds like you all are having a great adventure and I wanted to let you know on this particular post to ask your mom or your Uncle Brent about Brent's mishap with a greyhound whose name I believe was Ralph. OUCH! Give your mom a hug for me...I knew her when she was Steffi! ;)

    ReplyDelete